A student’s personal conduct contributes to his success in school and to a conducive learning environment for all. Students are therefore expected to be in their best of conduct by showing respect to teachers, members of staff, fellow students, school property and activities. This expectation is reflected in the following code of discipline:
Attendance and Punctuality
- Punctuality and full attendance in class, at school functions and rehearsals, for extra lessons and CCAs - are expressions of being respectful and responsible to the school.
Morning Assembly and Taking Daily Attendance
- Students are expected to assemble quietly and orderly by class. Morning Assembly begins at 7.30 a.m. sharp Students who are not with their class by the time assembly begins will be considered late. Attendance at the daily flag raising ceremony is compulsory.
- Students who are Singapore Citizens must sing the National Anthem and take the Pledge. They will take the Pledge with their right fist placed over their heart. On Mondays and Fridays, the School Anthem will be played prior to the recitation of the Pledge. All students are to sing the School Anthem.
- Should it rain or during haze period, an announcement will be made for students to assemble in class instead.
Absence from School
- A student who is absent must submit to his Form Teacher either a medical certificate or a letter of excuse from his parents/guardian on his day of return.
- Students who fail to produce these documents will be treated as playing truant
Absence from Assessments (Tests and Examination)
- If a student is unable to sit for any examination or other school-based assessments, the school requires a medical certificate from the doctor to excuse him for the day. His form teachers need to also be informed immediately.
Possession of Weapons
- All students are not allowed to have in their possession any weapon. They are also not allowed to bring / make any weapon-like item which is used or intended to be used to cause harm to others.
- Students may buy and consume food and drinks only during recess, when the school is not in session or when special permission has been obtained.
- Food and drinks must not be taken out of the canteen.
- Students must queue to buy food.
- When consuming food, students should display good table manners by not throwing food scraps on the tables or floor.
- All utensils, crockery and trays must be returned to the collecting centre.
- Playing in the canteen is prohibited.
- Students should be considerate to the community at the Barker Road campus and must not play near the church, kindergarten, hostel and secondary school.
- No student is allowed to remain in any classroom during recess unless accompanied by a teacher.
- At the end of recess, students must proceed to their classrooms in a quiet and orderly manner.
General Behaviour towards Learning
- Successful students have a positive attitude towards learning and behave in a manner that maximizes their learning opportunities and that of their group members. Each student is to be responsible for his learning and be respectful of others and their property in the learning environment. Misbehaviour will not be tolerated and staff will apply appropriate disciplinary actions to ensure a safe and conducive learning environment.
Hairstyle and Fingernails
- Male students must be neat in appearance, clean-shaven and no facial hair is allowed.
- Hair should be short, properly combed and kept neat to present a smart appearance. It should be sloped and not touch the ears and the collar. The fringe should not fall on the forehead or touch the eyebrows
- Extreme hairstyles, the use of hair colouring or hair gel are not allowed.
- Fingernails must be kept short and clean. Personal Attire An ACSian’s pride in the school is represented by his personal appearance. It is expected of all students always to be neat and proper in their appearance as a mark of respect for the school.